Piedrahita Law Firm, P.A.

English. Spanish.

Medical Employment Visas & Residency Immigration

The United States is facing a shortage of qualified medical personnel, in particular nurses. Many healthcare facilities are choosing to bring in qualified staff from other countries. It is often possible to secure temporary employment visas and permanent resident alien status for foreign national employees and their families.

When working with the delicate issue of immigration, it is essential to ensure accuracy down to the most minute or smallest detail. As an employer, you want to preserve your bottom line while complying with government regulations regarding your employees.

Piedrahita Law Firm, P.A. knows immigration law and fully understands the processes involved in securing employment visas.

Types of Visas for Healthcare Professionals

When a medical professional such as a doctor, nurse or physical therapist wishes to work in the United States, he or she must obtain a visa or green card. He or she may also be subject to medical license testing depending on employment requirements.

  • H-1B visas — Available for up to six years for employees with university degrees or the equivalent of a university
  • O-1 visas — For up to six years, visas for foreign national employees possessing extraordinary ability in their field
  • J-1 or H-3 visas — Available for up to 18 months of career training

Options for Permanent Residence

Permanent residence is possible on an employment offer to virtually any prospective foreign national employee if an application for permanent employment certification to the United States Department of Labor is approved, because there were no minimally qualified U.S. applicants for the position after it is advertised.

Permanent residence is possible on an employment offer to foreign national employees possessing extraordinary ability in their field. Also, waivers of two year foreign residence requirements are available for physicians interning in the United States in J-1 visa status.

To arrange a professional consultation about medical employment visas or permanent residences options for your employees, contact the firm at (954) 385-6811 or by e-mail. In-office and telephonic consultations are available.